Free Tax Preparation for Those who Qualify
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance is a free tax program to help people with low to moderate incomes, senior citizens, people with disabilities, and those who speak limited English, get their taxes prepared. We are seeking volunteers to help the people in our community during the tax season.
The VITA program:
- Offers flexible hours: Volunteers generally serve an average of 3-5 hours, or as your schedule is able, per week helping with the program.
- Start and end dates: Training will start after Thanksgiving with the start dates starting at the end of January and will run through the tax filing deadline in April.
- No prior experience needed: Volunteers will receive training and be with a trained paid staff member the entire time they are working. Volunteers are not expected to have degrees. Volunteers will be completing basic tax returns (annual wages, social security, and penalties of early withdraw of savings), and advanced returns included capital gains and losses and pensions.
- · Volunteers will need to: Complete background check, sign confidentiality paper, fill out volunteer information, pass a test. Staff will be there to assist you in the super easy test. Training and test are free to volunteers!
- · Continuing education credits: Enrolled agents and non-credentialed tax return preparers can earn continuing education credits when volunteering as a VITA volunteer.
- · Spanish Translator: We prepare taxes for non or limited English speaking citizens and will need help translating information. If you are a translator, we could use your help!
- · College Students: This program is perfect for college students looking for my experience and internships!
North Manchester Public Library
405 North Market Street, North Manchester, IN 46962
Volunteering for the VITA Program does not require any experience. This opportunity is an excellent addition to your resume, and also provides a chance to make a tangible impact in your community.